Law Offices of Paul W. Ralph | Personal Injury Attorney in Orange, CA |

(714) 752-4573


On Wednesday two pedestrians were badly injured by a hit-and-run driver in Inglewood.  According to KTLA News, one of the victims has been identified as an 8-year-old girl and the other her grandmother.  The two were crossing the street in a marked cross-walk at La Brea Avenue and Queen Street at about 5:30 a.m.  Both victims were taken to the hospital where the grandmother is reportedly still in a coma.  Police are now searching for the suspect who was behind the wheel of a dark green or Nissan Altima, and anyone with information should immediately contact the Inglewood Police Department.

Criminal and Civil Penalties May Be Faced by The Hit and Run Driver

In the above case, the driver of the vehicle that struck the two victims may well face criminal charges for leaving the scene of an injury accident.  This hit-and-run driver, if he or she is ever caught, will also face civil claims for the injuries and damages caused.  A personal injury claim is something that must be brought by or on behalf of an injured party in order for compensation to be paid to the victim and/or their family.   The criminal justice does not allow for damages to be paid to a victim, other than sometimes restitution for out-of-pocket expenses such as medical bills.  The criminal court cannot order a defendant to pay any compensation for pain, suffering, scarring, disability or emotional upset after a hit-and-run collision.  This compensation may be obtained by way of a personal injury claim brought against the driver and his automobile insurance carrier.  As with any civil case, the standard of proof is lower than it is in a criminal case, and the injured party must only prove their case by a preponderance of evidence (the “more likely than not” standard).

Compensation For a Hit-and-Run Begins With Presenting a Claim

In a hit-and-run case, obtaining compensation first requires presenting a claim in the correct fashion to the appropriate party and/or their insurance carrier.  The laws in this area are complicated, and first consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney is often the best first step in the process.

Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney for Help

If you or a loved one has been the victim of a car accident, including one involving a hit-and-run driver, contacting an experienced injury attorney can be the most important first step toward obtaining compensation for the injuries and damages suffered.  Mr. Ralph has decades of experience handling car accident cases, from inception and through trial.  He can be reached via e-mail or by calling the phone number below.  All personal injury consultations are free.  Tags: hit and run

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.